Stations of the Cross: Fridays during Lent. English 7:30, Spanish 8:15
Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament: Wednesday 3-8pm (except Ash Wednesday, Feb 14)
Sacrament of Reconciliation: Every Sat. 3:30 - 4:30, Lenten Regional Reconciliation Services:
March 18 @St. Joseph-on-Carollton Manor 6:15 - 8:15 p.m.
March 19 @ St. John's, - Archdiocesan Lenten Confession Day (Fr. Kevin will be the only priest hearing confessions this day) 3:00 - 4:00 and 7:00 - 8:00 p.m.
March 20 @St. Peter's, 7:00 - 9:00 p.m.
“The Little Black Book”: A Lenten aide for daily devotion and prayer. Pick one up at one of the entrances to the church.
Family Lenten Pilgrimage: February 24 to Franciscan Monastery and the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception in Washington D.C. Contact Amy Spessard in the parish office.
Prayers and daily readings at your finger tips: Download the St. John "myParish" App by texting APP to 88202.
Days of Abstinence: No meat can be eaten on Ash Wednesday and all of the Fridays during Lent. This applies to all Catholics 14 and older.
Days of Fast: Only one full meal is permitted on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday for Catholics between 18 and 59. Two smaller meals are permitted, but the
Annual Lenten Food Drive: Help restock the shelves of the Frederick Food Bank. Our Faith Formation classes will be doing weekly themed food collections as their parish-wide Lenten project. The schedule is:
Feb. 17/18-Cereal Sunday: breakfast cereal and bars;
Feb. 24/25-Sandwich Sunday: peanut butter, jelly, canned tuna;
Mar. 3/4-Spaghetti Sunday: spaghetti, sauce, cheese;
Best Lent Ever: Receive a daily short inspirational email during Lent. Visit www.dynamiccatholic.com/bestlentever
Minute Meditations: Receive a brief Lenten-focused reflection each day. Visit http://blog.franciscanmedia.org/minute-meditations.
Daily Lent Meditations from Franciscan Media
Daily Lenten Reflections from Bishop Robert Barron
Lenten Digital Retreat
ideas for your lenten journey
- Come to Eucharistic Adoration: Wednesdays (except Ash Wed.) 3:00 - 8:00p.m.
- Go to daily Mass
- Participate in the Sacrament of Reconciliation during Lent
- Read the daily Scriptures
- Participate in Stations of the Cross
- Daily examination of conscience
- Learn the Divine Mercy Chaplet
- Learn to pray Liturgy of the Hours
- Pray the rosary
- Learn the Angelus prayer
- Make a list of daily prayer intentions
- Grab a prayer app for your smartphone like Laudate, Pieta, or St. John's "myParish" App
- Participate in a “prayer a day” program via email
- More LENTEN VIDEOS, BLOGS, WEBSITE links BELOW
small meals should not equal a second full meal. Drinking coffee, tea and water between meals is allowed. Snacks between meals are not allowed.
Parish Digital Fasting Day: Thursday, March 8, 6:30 - 8:30 in the Bauer Evangelization Center Hall.
Fast from technology? Well, not entirely. There are many great digital resources to
use on your Lenten journey but on March 8, why not do without any unnecessary electronic devices? Join us in the parish Hall from 6:30 - 8:00 p.m. We’ll unplug from social media and the digital world and use our hands and hearts to create Easter baskets and other items for those less fortunate.
Mar. 10/11- Side Dish Sunday: mac & cheese, pasta-roni, canned veggies and fruit;
Mar. 17/18: Sudsy Sunday-bath soap, household cleaning products. Thank you for your support!
Operation Rice Bowl (Coordinated by the Social Justice Ministry): Lenten program that helps Catholics focus on sacrifice for our sisters and brothers around the globe. Rice bowls are available at church entrances.
more ideas for your lenten journey
- Downsize your wardrobe & donate items to St. Vincent de Paul
- Visit a parishioner or family member in the nursing home
- Give a gift card to someone in need
- Make a meal for a home-bound neighbor
Lenten Dates to Remember
MORE OPPORTUNITIES FOR PRAYER AND REFLECTION
From the United States Conference on Catholic Bishops
- Liturgical Resources for Lent & Easter
- Lent 2018 Calendar
- The Seven Penitential Psalms and the Songs of the Suffering Servant
- Questions and Answers about Lent and Lenten Practices
- Six Ways to Evangelize During Lent
- Video Reflections on Lent
- 10 Things to Remember for Lent
Daily Reflections on Lent from St. Anthony
Stations of the Cross- St. John's Schedule: Fridays during Lent. English 7:30 p.m., Spanish 8:15 p.m.